To establish a legacy of giving, Gilroy Foundation links charitable gifts from donors to the vital needs of the community.
By engaging all aspects of the community, Gilroy Foundation is the recognized leader in connecting resources to community needs.
Message from our Executive Director
I hope many Foundation supporters have seen our “Breaking News” announcements on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. We’ve repeated the post below.
I wanted to share a little more history about this new scholarship we want to establish from this Matching Grant we will be getting from Silicon Valley Community Foundation. When we first heard about the idea, we decided to have a “stakeholders” meeting of community leaders who would brainstorm with us to see what kind of impact this grant could make! We talked about the Foundation’s upcoming 40th anniversary year in 2020, and possibly giving $40,000 more in grants that year, but then, education and jobs became a big part of the conversation. Gavilan College representatives were at this meeting and told us about a new certification program for Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning and that would give a full-time student their certification in just one year! Then we started talking about all the other certificates that are available to high school graduates and returning-to-school students who want to learn a trade and get a job, in possibly several months, or one or two years!
In Fall of 2018, Gilroy Foundation challenged our investment partner, Silicon Valley Community Foundation, to give locally. They countered with a $20,000 matching gift offer!
• We accepted the challenge and have come up with an educational opportunity that will make an impact on Gilroy students.
• NPR reports, “High paying trade jobs sit empty, while high school graduates line up for universities.”
• We are planning to establish a new endowed opportunity: Gilroy Foundation’s Vocational Career Scholarship.
• This annual $2,000 scholarship will go to a student entering Gavilan College to pursue certification in a technical field.
• Your “Call to Action”? Help us reach our goal of raising $20,000 to match SVCF by becoming a donor to this endowed fund.
• We have only six months to raise our $20,000 to receive the match!
Click here to be among the first to kick off this campaign. Your donation in any amount will help us reach our goal.
We are proud that four local businesses continue to support Gilroy's community foundation as a Sustaining Sponsor. Thank you to Christopher Ranch, Pinnacle Bank, Gilroy Toyota, and Recology for your commitment to our community and the programs of the Gilroy Foundation!